Maeng Da kratom is a derivative of a Thai kratom variety, but altered through a process known as grafting. In fact, the name “Maeng Da” roughly translates to “pimp” in English. However, its name originates from a local water bug called the, Lethocerus Indicus. In fact, in Thailand, the Lethocerus Indicus is a tasty delicacy. Although its origins are rather sketchy, Maeng Da kratom is actually one of the most potent kinds of kratom strains that can be bought on the market today.
Maeng Da kratom is a modification of standard strains of kratom to make it more alkaloid rich. This happened at one particular plantation in Thailand, but the strain was since lost. Part of this grafting process enhances its strength and reduces its susceptibility to environmental factors. The leaves of Maeng Da kratom are darker. When crushed, the powder is much greener than its other counterparts.
Of course, the strain is grafted from its original variant, Mitragyna Speciosa, an evergreen tree that hails from Southeast Asia. Maeng Da itself originates from Indonesia, fervently altered through a process of selective breeding. This cultivated the strongest Thai kratom variant. However, it quickly became popular amongst kratom enthusiasts who descended on it, coining it the best variation of kratom on the market.
What does using Maeng Da kratom feel like?
The original strain of Maeng Da kratom was “lost.” Today, it refers to unique kratom strains that pack a powerful punch. Unfortunately, there’s no uniformity in the production of Maeng Da kratom strains. Still, the one important key factor here is that it’s rich in both alkaloids. Thus, kratom strains that have strong effects in pain relief and stimulation take on the name, Maeng Da.
The reason? There’s an omnipresence of both mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. These alkaloids bind to the mu-opioid and delta-opioid receptors. They’re responsible for both analgesic effects and for euphoric effects. That makes Maeng Da kratom suitable for those who are dealing with opioid withdrawal and those who are looking for relief from chronic pain. Since mitragynine is responsible for the euphoric effects and 7-hydroxymitragynine is responsible for the analgesic effects, you often find only one or the other in kratom varieties.
For example, red-veined kratom has a prevalence of the 7-hydroxymitragynine alkaloid. That makes it an effective pain reliever. On the other hand, white-veined kratom often has a prevalence of the mitragynine alkaloid, making it effective for those dealing with opioid withdrawal symptoms. Mitragynine is responsible for a euphoric effect. As a selective antagonist, it activates the opioid receptor responsible for euphoria without releasing serotonin into the body.
That’s where a drug like kratom differs from heroin. Kratom is a selective agonist (activator) of the opioid receptor whereas a drug like heroin is a full agonist. Heroin releases both serotonin and dopamine into the brain and body, providing a feeling of true euphoria. Although Maeng Da kratom is strong, it doesn’t have the same effects as heroin. Still, people do refer to this strain as the strongest kind, thus making it very alluring for those currently taking or interested in purchasing kratom.
How long does it take to kick in?
Unlike other strains of kratom, Maeng Da’s effects are both powerful for pain relief, but also energizing. That means, you don’t have the general sedation you’d experience with other potent red-veined kratom strains. In general, it takes roughly 10 minutes to 20 minutes to feel the effects of it. However, the sensation lasts for 8 to 10 hours depending on the amount consumed. It lacks the sedation, so it’s an energetic feeling. The presence of both alkaloids truly does make this kratom strain unique.
That’s why so many people turn to this strain of kratom. It’s highly unique. And it has benefits that outweigh other variants of kratom. It’s less addictive than other forms of kratom, due to its unique alkaloid profile. The effects are also far more powerful than other forms of kratom. However, depending on the precise strain of Maeng Da kratom
What is Red Maeng Da kratom?
Red Maeng Da is simply a red-veined variant of this strain of kratom. You can find it in white, green and red. However, the red has generally been known to be more analgesic because of the prevalence of 7-HMG. But, Red Maeng Da is rather unique. It has all of the following effects associated with it:
- Pain relief effects: This is a powerful pain reliever. In fact, people suffering from chronic pain benefit greatly from this strain. It can help with all sorts of pain. Whether a person is suffering through the calamity of cancer, or debilitating joint or muscle pain.
- Mood enhancement effects: Red Maeng Da is a mood elevator and an overall relaxant. It can help severely with those battling depression and also those who are struggling with stressful situations in their lives.
- Energy boosting effects: This strain provides significant energy boosts, somewhat akin to that of caffeine. That’s unique to most red-veined kratom strains since they are generally more sedative than energy-boosting. This is great for those who don’t want to feel “out of it” all day long when taking kratom.
- Stimulating effects: This strain is also stimulating. It’s more of an upper than it is a downer.
- Nootropic effects: There’s a significant cognitive enhancement with this strain of kratom that helps give you clarity and provide high levels of reasoning.
- Euphoric effects: When taking Maeng Da kratom in very high dosages, there’s a general feeling of euphoria. It can stimulate happiness and elation.
- Antidepressant. There’s a natural antidepressant that’s akin to this strain of kratom. It’s not just a mood enhancement. It’s known to mitigate anxious feelings. Perfect for those suffering with anxiety.
How much should you take?
What dosage of Maeng Da kratom is right for you? That’s often the question that most people ask. Since this is a potent strain of kratom achieved through grafting, be wary of how much you take, especially in the beginning. To start out, never take more than 2 grams. Two grams is plenty. But not when dealing with the extract. We’re talking about 2 grams of the powder. Half that if you’re dealing with the extract.
In the beginning, stay away from the extract. The extract is very potent. So imagine the most potent strain of kratom enhanced further by extraction. That’s going to give a very powerful effect that can be too much for any one person, especially if your body isn’t acclimated to kratom. When taking Maeng Da kratom, there are also some general rules of thumb that you should be following:
- Opt for kratom powder over pills or capsules. It’s best to cap your own powder to ensure that you’re getting genuine and authentic Maeng Da kratom.
- Be careful of taking too much of this strain of kratom. It packs a powerful punch. Too much could give you some severe side effects like vomiting for hours, nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite and so on.
- Taking one gram of kratom powder of this strain won’t have much of an effect. Even though it’s the most powerful strain, taking too little won’t provide many benefits.
- Red Maeng Da kratom has a longer effect than other variants of Maeng Da. Avoid taking too much of it for that reason. There is a prolonged effect associated with this strain.
- It’s best to take this on an empty stomach if you’re attempting to achieve medicinal benefits. That means you probably shouldn’t make any kratom smoothie recipes with Maeng Da kratom.